The Importance Of Dog ID Tags

The Importance Of Dog ID Tags

I only made a name tag for Buffy a few months ago. I know, I know that's really bad. I'm sure he has forgiven me by now. That's why I'm writing this blog post so that you guys are aware of the importance of dog id tags for your dogs.
 
Buffy was a really naughty pup. He's also a very fast runner and as soon as the gate opened he would run outside. I call him my little flash dog. I swear he's just as fast as the Flash. 

We had to chase after Flash-dog almost every day. Not much fun yes. As he got older he did not feel the need to run around the neighbourhood as much. He just ran out now and again when he was in one of his crazy moods.

I remember him teasing the other dogs a lot and chasing the smaller dogs. In a playful way of course. Yes he was a very, very naughty puppy.

After his attack, it’s almost like there’s this invisible barrier around our house and he does not step over the line. That’s a good thing, because I don't have to worry about him going outside. 

Some dogs unfortunately don’t come back when they run outside and get lost. If your dog ran outside and someone sees your dog without a name tag, then what? 

Hopefully a neighbour will see your dog and bring them back home to you, but some younger dogs might run too far away and not know how to navigate their way home. 

A stranger will probably take the dog to the nearest animal shelter. I doubt anyone will just take a strange dog off the streets and keep him. My dog is like a full-time job. Only I can handle his moods. I definitely won’t keep a strange dog if I found one on the streets. They need to go to the animal shelter.

This is why a dog needs to have some form of identification. Some people chip their dogs. Meaning a small microchip is implanted under the dog’s skin. The vet normally implants it under the loose skin between the dog’s shoulder blades. 

It’s not like a GPS tracker that can track your dog’s location. It just holds a permanent ID for your dog that matches with an ID in a pet recovery database. Dogs that are lost and taken to an animal shelter will be scanned to see who the owner is.

If you don’t like the microchip invasive procedure, just get a dog name tag and hang it on their collar. You can get them at a pet store, online pet store or you can even make your own. 

I made Buffy one from an old necklace with a round wood pendant. You need to add your dog’s name, your name and phone number. Add anything else you think is important. Here's a link to an easy pet ID diy

You can also get a GPS tracker for your dog. They fit on the collar and you can track your dog's location on your smartphone with the tracker's app. It's a bit on the expensive side, but if you have a runner that can't navigate his way home then you might consider investing in a GPS tracker for your pooch.  

Speaking about collars, some people don't like leaving collars on their dog. They fear the dog might be too uncomfortable or their collar might snag on something. There are a lot of comfortable collars out there. The Petsafe Keepsafe Break Away Collar for dogs are designed for just that purpose. So check it out!

Hopefully most of you already have some form of identification for your dogs. If you don’t, get them a dog id tag as soon as possible.  You will rest easier knowing your dog can be identified if they get lost. 

Until next time, 
Goodbye.

Pic credit: Pixabay pic Renza edited.

Don't forget to follow our blog for updates. Please share and plus one if you think your friends will like reading my post. :-)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorenza! I keep my dog's tags on her leash because tags are required when we go to the dog park but I don't keep them on full time. I never thought about my dog accidentally getting out. Your advice is smart. Thanks for making me think about it further.

    Diane Lynn
    www.thegratitudeletters.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane. Thank you. Sometimes it all depends on preference and what the dog's personality is like. I'm an overprotective dog parent. So I keep tags on at all time, because he's in the yard most of the time during the day and there's a gate. Some people don't like collars on their pets all the time. There are nice comfortable collars out there and some are catch proof collars like the KeepSafe BreakAway Collar. You can do some further research and decide whats best for you and your dog.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for reading our blog. We appreciate all your comments. I'll moderate first, but always reply back. Please share and don't forget to follow us for new blog posts updates. Thank you from Buff, Fluff and Renza :-) ♥♥♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow Buff, Fluff & Renza Here!!! ♥